I
always had in mind to continue my studies after university, because, for my personal
purposes, I must improve academically. I would like to study in another
country, maybe Australia, because I have a lot of family there that could
receive me. I have two little nieces and would be very grateful to see how they
grow. Also, because Australia has an interesting and valuable anthropological
history, and I think I can learn a lot about totemism and how indigenous
communities live hidden and marginalized from the first world.
I
know that to continue my studies in a country like Australia, I need to master
English as much as Spanish, because if the academic language in Spanish is
difficult, in English it is more difficult. However, I hope to improve my
skills in these years and, of course, with this class.
Some
time ago I also thought about continuing my studies in countries with Spanish
as the main language, such as Argentina, Uruguay or Spain. I really like those
countries and each one has excellent educational programs.
The
main reason why I want to continue my studies is because I believe that it is
necessary to keep a fresh mind with all the new knowledge of this changing
world, more now, with a deep social and political crisis throughout the world,
added to the enormous environmental problem. that we face as a species
Themed Post
I
love movies. When I watch a movie, I always analyze how a certain scene was
filmed, or how the colors are in tune with the emotions of the moment, such as
cold colors with sad moments or red colors with intense scenes. On summer
vacation, I would watch a movie almost every day. My best friend has the same passion
for movies as I do, and when we get together, we always talk about the last
movie we saw. And if we can't remember the name of the movie, we talk about the
actors and say: This actor, from this movie, and we end up talking about other
movies and how these were made. It's great. I'm not a huge fan of mainstream
movies like superhero movies so I never go to commercial theaters. I like
independent cinemas. I'm from La Serena, and in the center of the city, in
front of the main square, there was a cinema, it was called "Teatro
Centenario", and almost every week they presented independent Chilean
films, I used to go with one of my best friends from the school, and that was
like a ritual for us. Free jazz concerts were also held in that theater, but
the most important event that took place was "FECILS", the film and
short film festival in La serena, with films from all over Chile but also from
Latin America. The theater was outdated 2 years ago and it was very sad for me
and my friend.
Personal Opinions
Most
of the times I am very respectful with other’s opinions. In fact, I really like
to generate dialogs where someone has an opinion different than mine and we
both present our ideas to try persuading one another, I find that extremely
interesting. I must admit that sometimes I am obstinate with some of my ideas
and I find it awfully hard to admit that I am wrong, although I always end up
doing it. When someone start to use arguments that can be offensive to the
other person, my rude side gets activated and I end up, in a wrong way, trying
to convince the other that they cannot say that sort of things.
I
care about other’s opinions, only when said opinions come from people that I care
about, like my family and friends. Most of the times when I am doing a test, I
need my friend’s opinions to check mistakes or to know if they think my answer
is the right one, in that sense opinions reassure my confidence. When it comes
to more serious subjects, like politics or my own future, I tend to ignore
other’s ideas, because I have my
convictions very clear and I only take to account the opinions of those who
help me make that decisions, which are
constructive criticism instead of opinions.
When
I was younger, I was more dependent of other’s opinions, and I remember that in
more than one occasion I was sad because of what people I didn’t care about
thought about me, I think it was a matter of insecurity.
CHANGES TO MY STUDY PROGRAME
Some
time ago I was able to stabilize a bit my emotional balance. I was going
through some up and downs, I was having some sleep issues, and most of the
times I had no motivation to do the things that I enjoy doing, like exercising,
playing the guitar or read, I only devoted myself to studying and doing college
assignments in a reluctant way. I filled myself with perseverance, mostly
through meditation and keeping sustained contact with my friends, but it’s been
very hard, because my usual lifestyle is not hermit like, in reality, is the
complete opposite, I love spending the majority of my time with my close
friends, to share with them in parties or simple and casual reunions, I find it
essential to have a dose of friendship. All of this has been reformed, and it
has been very difficult, but throughout this 4 months that appeared to be
eternal, I have learned to say: stay calm, there’s little left, hold on a
little longer. I believe that is the only way of keeping my sanity. Also,
reading stuff that is not from a college assignment has helped me a lot, like
novels o essays about topics that are particularly entertaining to me, it keeps
me motivated and at suitable mental tempo. However, I must admit that I am
fragile, there are days in which the most minimal hint of pessimism floods my
whole day, and I know that in a normal context it would not be like this. Like
everyone, I believe that lately I have been more sensitive, but each day that
passes is one less day.
ENGLISH LANGUAGE CHALLENGES
My
biggest problem with English is writing, because it's something I don't usually
do. In general, if I must use the language, it is for speaking, not writing,
and I think it is much easier. In a conversation with someone who speaks
English, one can say to be wrong in a verbal tense, but in the context of the
conversation, the other person can identify the intention of what was meant,
and generally this person corrects it, which in same time Time is very
didactic. Also, when you have an English conversation with someone else, your
ear is always taking note; look at new ways of saying familiar expressions,
look at the pronunciation of complicated words. One problem I have is with
people who speak fast, both in Spanish and English. In general, I keep a calm
rhythm when I speak, so when I have conversations in English with other people,
they follow a moderate rhythm, but, for example, if I try to include myself in
a conversation of two people who speak very quickly, it is difficult to be able
to follow the thread of the conversation. I think I have no problem
understanding both, North American and British English, because I consider the
Australian accent, which is a strange mix between the two, although with
nuances more closely related to British English. Although I have never had a
conversation with any British person, I do not think it is difficult, I have
trained my ear with movies like Harry Potter, Trainspotting or Billy Elliot.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario